Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mmmm....Lobster!

Ok...it's been over a month and I haven't posted. I've been busy with graduations, mission trip preparation, VBS preparation and all kinds of other things, but mainly I've been too lazy to post! Obviously I can't keep up with my own challenge! But I hopefully will do better here in the coming months to stay up to date with things going on in my life!

This past Monday I went out to IRBC (that's Iowa Regular Baptist Camp aka the coolest camp in the world for those of you who don't live in Iowa) and volunteered. My plan is to volunteer on my days off over the summer because I love camp and I like being outside in the summer! But this is what also brings me to my topic today...Sunburn.

Pastor Dave knows I like to mow, I like to mow a lot! So when given the opportunity to mow the Old Golf Course at camp I jumped at it! I had my iPod ready, with my 32 oz Dr. Pepper from Kum & Go (they have cheap fountain drinks during the summer, check it out!) and the ExMark riding lawn mower. Knowing that my wife would be upset with me if I didn't put sunscreen on I found some SPF 30 from one of the special camp counselors. I lathered up and headed out!

4 hours had passed from when I started and it was lunch time. Of course we had Camp Mac & Cheese, a favorite of the head cook's husband so of course she will always serve it! I sat at the table and realized my arms were a bit red. Now understand, I am a connoisseur of sunburn. Ever since I got my first blisters on my shoulders when I was young it seems I can classify the severity and time of the burn. This sunburn was a mild burn, one from a day spent out side at the pool or a ball game. The thing is I had only been outside for 4 hours. I believe my skin is an overachiever and can get burned a full days burn in only 4 hours. Needless to say I headed for the office looking for more sunscreen.

Julie Nicholls, the camp secretary, bless her heart went and found some sunscreen for me. She found SPF 8. Putting SPF 8 on me is like building a toothpick dam along the Mississippi River, it's just not gonna do the trick. But without any more potent substitute I applied a layer. Not only to my arms but also my knees. My knees don't see a lot of sun now that I wear pants and sit in an office. My white knees and the sun are not best friends.

By the time supper rolled around I was wearing a long sleeve shirt with the collar popped and my shorts were almost off my behind because I kept pulling them down to cover my knees. I looked like a boiled lobster and felt about as good as one too I reckon.

I made my way home and showed my wife. All she could do was laugh and say you will never learn. And the sad thing is, I probably won't. I still imagine myself with a glowing bronze tan (no thanks to my best friend Ryan Sauser who can tan in the middle of the night!) mowing across an open field. But now I am stuck with red knees and an addiction to aloe vera. Oh well that's life and the thing is guess what I'm doing next Monday?! I'll be out at camp again because grass doesn't stop growing and I'm pretty sure I won't stop burning!

Try and keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment