Thursday, April 7, 2011

Scared To Death


Many of you might know that I grew up in the booming metropolis of Conroy, Ia. I say that very sarcastically. Conroy has a population of around maybe 300 people or less. Depending on the season and and what kids graduate and go off to college. It's a town that I love. I love the people, the coop, Stanerson's implement and the post office. It's a small town but it was the best town in the world to grow up in. I knew all the neighbors. I knew the neighbors' pets. Neighbors would help neighbors out. You would stop and talk while on a walk or bike ride on a beautiful summer evening. Everyone looked out for each other. We felt safe and we were safe. We never locked our car, our house or pretty much anything for that matter. It was a simple Iowa town where I lived for 18 years. I miss it, I really do.

My wife, on the other hand, grew up in a different situation. Much of her early childhood was spent moving because of her father's job. Not that it was a bad thing, but she never really got settled. She spent the majority of her life in a town outside Cleveland, OH. It wasn't a bad neighborhood by any means. I have visited and have always felt safe. But you never left your door unlocked or the keys in your car. It was a different mindset and a different attitude. This has been another adjustment to marriage that we have come across.

I feel fine leaving the side door to our garage unlocked or the keys in the car while it is in the driveway. Mason City is an Iowa town. Granted it is about 100% larger than Conroy, I still feel safe. If it was up to me, most of the day our doors would be unlocked. I have left home several times without house keys because I know the door in unlocked but when I return I find that Keri has left and locked the door therefore relegating me to sit on the front step looking like a hobo or frantically using my superhuman strength to pull the door off its hinges!

Where am I going with this you ask?

Hang on, I'll get there.

Keri has finally opened up to the idea of leaving the side door open to the garage and I was thankful as that is the door I use most frequently for my morning commute over to my office at the church. This was until last night.

It was a typical Wednesday night. We had a full house for youth group. Had a great time of playing games, singing and learning from God's Word. It was a great night! More often than not some group of teens comes over to our house after youth group. We have snacks and a great time. I received a text from an individual who will remain nameless (Jared Callison) stated that he and two of his comrades will be arriving at our house soon from Wendy's (the fast food place, not from someone's house who's name in Wendy). Keri and I quickly made our way home through the sea of fellow church goers, shaking hands and talking. Finally we get across the street and to our house. Keri asked if I had my keys. I said "no, I thought you left the door open?". She remarked that she had left the side door open to the garage but not to the house. This was ok and step in the right direction for Keri. As we entered the dark garage I thought to myself, I wonder if someone would ever sneak into our garage.

It was one of the those moments in life where a thought you think borders on the edge of predicting the future when you look back on it.

Within a few steps into our dark garage with no lights on. As Keri is putting the key in the lock for the door to the house. We here a scream/roar from 3 individuals who will remain nameless (Jared Callison, Matt Merry, Abby Does). Instantly there is a screaming match between the 3 individuals who will remain nameless (Jared Callison, Matt Merry, Abby Does) and Keri. Keri is smacking the wall hoping that somehow smacking the wall will turn on the lights magically! Keri screams, "I am going to kill you!". Usually that's not what you want to hear from a youth pastor's wife but in this situation it is totally acceptable.

As I finally reach the light switch and shed some wonderful 60 watt light on the situation I see the 3 individuals who will remain nameless (Jared Callison, Matt Merry, Abby Does) crouched between our cars. Keri is on the verge of hyperventilating and constantly repeats the phrase "never again, never again, you will never do that again".

We laugh and joke about it the rest of the evening. It was a good time and Keri eventually calmed down in the end. She has now vowed never to leave a single door in our house unlocked ever again. So I guess it's back to carrying keys around with me.

You may ask what my response was to the scare.

I was subdued, this was the third time they had done something like this to me. Thankfully the third time is the charm. The first two, I screamed like a girl!


Try and keep up!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA! They would:) Poor Keri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man!!!!! I can picture this whole thing and just love it!!!! I'm laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete