Thursday, April 14, 2011

Twins


It's been a while since I have posted on my blog. I began to think that I was one of those people who were just going to let it flop. Well, I have been busy with various things. This past Saturday my parents, grandma, sister and niece were able to come for a visit. It was a great time with family and I'm sure there will be a post in the future describing some of our activities.

This Monday and Tuesday were spent down in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. The IARBC State Conference was held at Calvary Baptist Church. The theme was Biblical Counseling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Duke Crawford formerly of Calvary Baptist spoke 3 times during the conference and did a tremendous job! I recommend you go to Calvary Baptist's website and download his messages.

There was great fellowship (and eating) involved down at the conference. It was good to spend time with fellow youth pastors. We are a different breed and its nice to have people laugh at our jokes!

Something rather peculiar happened when I was at the conference. I guess girls just absolutely hate it when then wear the same clothes or outfit as another girl. Whether its a dress, a shirt, a skirt or who knows what. They hate it. Now we think that that is very vain, very prideful, that they need to stand out. I would totally agree with that. I grew up in a town where the major clothing article was a sports t-shirt that probably 90% of the population owned. So it was no big deal showing up at school in a 2002 State football shirt and seeing 5 other people wearing it. It's just how it was.

I would like to think that that philosophy is still carried by my self today but I think I have evidence against it.

I am 22 years old and I try to look up to date with fashion (you're probably laughing in your head right now!!!). Finding clothes that show that I'm somewhat with it. I was wearing a nice dress shirt during the first day of the conference. While during the opening session they were recognizing new pastors in the state. They mentioned my name and I stood and right after me they mentioned another man's name and he stood up. And would you believe it. He was wearing the same exact shirt as I was. It wasn't a plain white shirt or any solid color shirt. But a shirt with a pattern that distinctly could be seen as the same.

In my mind I was thinking I look like an idiot. It's amazing how fast our flesh kicks in when things like this happen. Of course several of my youth pastor friends make some remarks via shouting and text. I am thinking to my self either he is with it or I am not! Was I shopping in the right section of the store? Did I really think I was 65 years old? These thoughts were racing through my mind knowing that I was being foolish.

I ended up having a conversation with the man and he was very polite and quite wonderful to talk to.

I ended up having a twin at the state conference that I didn't know I had before! Thankfully we both packed a different wardrobe choice for the second day. Sorry Jason Blunk I never got a picture with him but I did happen to get a picture with myself at the Faith Baptist Bible College display. That's a completely different topic for another post!

Until then...

Try and keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment